Friday, July 3, 2009

What kind of dog?

Everyone keeps asking me: What kind of dog are you going to get?"

I DON'T KNOW!!

The three main breeds used are Labs, Retreivers and Shepards.

I will arrive on Saturday around lunch (July 18th) and I understand we do some "JUNO" walks Sunday and Monday...so they can better evaluate each student. JUNO walk is where the instructor leads you around, pulling on the harness...it is a funny thing to see! I can't wait to give an insturctor doggie commands....haha There are 4-6 students per instructor. Total number of students is about 18.

Monday, July 20th, after lunch, is when we will be matched up with our dogs. Until then, we will have no idea what kid of dog we will each get. I will post a photo as soon as I can after that.

The name is already given to the dog, so we don't have a choice on that. They are all unique names.....you won't want womeone calling FIDO to their dog and distracting your dog...so a unique name is important. As I understand now, you need to use your dog's name before each command.

I am wondering how I will live without my cane. I have used it for several years and it really helps me....especiall going down curbs and steps. It will be difficult for me to relinquish control to the dog on this one....but I will learn for sure!!

The cane helped me to know the DEPTH of each step and go with confidence down (or up).

1 comment:

  1. The kids are hoping you come visit soon with your new dog!

    ReplyDelete